View Single Post
Old 11-13-2021, 03:11 PM   #10
dagnabbitt

Re: OG style radiators

I empathize with anyone who can't find a rad shop, they used to be commonplace and now they are rare: there is only one in my city of 1.1M people, and I actually had to get a referral... they are too busy with Caterpillar and tractor-trailer rads to take on classics, usually. I had to name drop to get them to do mine. I am glad that I did, they turned my OEM two row into a three row with restrictors, and at around $300 USD the price was still less than the cheapest "Spectre" aftermarket replacements I found online.

Incidentally, it is for that reason that I recommend talking to heavy equipment operators and service providers, you might find a shop that does rads but doesn't advertise. And if there is a place in another state that a boardmember recommends, even if you have to do some shipping back and forth I think it would be worth it.

Don't get me wrong: if your budget is unlimited and you don't care about originality, there are some aftermarket companies that are inarguably producing excellent products. I just can't bring myself to spend $1000 USD on a rad when that money could go towards horsepower... and if I did spend that kind of dough I would be really irritated if it didn't fit like a glove.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote