View Single Post
Old 08-25-2022, 09:10 PM   #36
Boog
laying low

Re: High idle on each start

I have been through that info. Still, as you said, some of it's optional data to display is unknown to some of us newbies and we can be apprehensive about making changes. I'll play with that a bit next time I'm logging.
I am disappointed with the cable raising the idle speed and ignition advance. We don't get true idle data at 1000-1050 rpm. I see the other poster has the same issue though his rpms are 100-150 less than mine.
Here is what I did this week.
I went back to the basics and checked all spark plugs and timing.
I ran a can of Seafoam down it's throat, let it sit a while, then poured some more down it. I ran it hard out on the highway for a while.
I checked for vacuum leaks again.
Knowing you said I needed to get the iac down around 20 at idle I monitored the winaldl display while it was running paying attention to the IAC. At about 1000 rpm the iac was at 38 then all on it's own it began to start creeping up. I touched nothing. It reached 88. At that point I unplugged the iac and kept watching. 5 minutes or so later it began to drop, still unplugged mind you. It fell to 37-8 again and hung there, still unplugged, still idling around 1000. That iac is new also.
I turned the minimum idle speed screw back down. Some.
I ordered and put on a new Delco TPS.
I cleared memory by unhooking the batt cable. Again.
Now, the high idle on cold start is lower and it settles down to 600 est rpm within a couple minutes. Any restart now and it settles into a more normal rpm right away. That's good.
The negative is once again it feels like it wants to stumble and die in gear with foot on the brake at an intersection just like the minimum idle speed is too low. I tried driving with the laptop hooked up but that was a no go. With the increased rpm, of course it didn't want to die.
Watching the temp, it can get as high as 199 after a good drive but here in the driveway 187-8 is about all it will do even covering the grille with a heavy blanket. The Delco fan clutch for this truck is new and fully engages at about 188 so it has trouble reaching the 195 stat temp so I guess it is on the line of open loop and closed loop as far as data logging in my driveway goes? No one in town offers a Stant thermostat or even lists one. Maybe it would be beneficial to swap to an electric fan to allow it to run a bit warmer?
Now, after a couple days of drive time, I will do another data log maybe tomorrow and see what it looks like. Thanks for the tips.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote