View Single Post
Old 09-26-2023, 07:33 PM   #383
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

What a twist man. I delivered my bumpers for re-chroming in Fresno. That's 500 miles RT though from Fresno I run three hours north to see my girlfriend. Anyway, I picked them up Friday. Rear is Grrrrreat, and after rechrome you can clearly see the two holes I punched into it. But I didn't see them on the front bumper, which supposedly had to be rechromed twice due a scratch. Took much longer to do too, by 3 months, yet it was in the best shape of the two by far.

So I figured well, maybe I made a mistake or the dimples filled in somehow, I'm tired, here's 1600 bucks, bye. Don't do that, it was almost a huge mistake. I didn't have all the material I needed and gave them the benefit of the doubt. But a mile down the road I weighed it, which was a match, so that eased my head, at least until I could break them out at home.

Full inspection yesterday, I have the before and after pictures on a desktop. They gave me a different bumper for too many reasons, pictured. There's even a part number stamped in 5-6 places. To my knowledge original bumpers are unstamped, they only had a decal. The interiors of the "rechromed" bumpers also look completely different. The front looks more like a new reproduction bumper, though the bumper exterior finishes look the same.

So I slepted just a wink last night, oh no, out $800 plus my bumper is Gooooooooooooooone. Collected info. last night and made a phone call this morning. The guy I've been dealing with was great. He put me in touch with the boss who spent part of his day looking for my bumper at his repairman's place, oh noooooo!

He just contacted me with LOTS of pictures, they found my bumper and said turnaround is ASAP instead of 5 months, and they offered to meet me half way or better.

That my friends is lucky, and shows good faith in Fresno. Yikes, you should see the place.

The finishes really do look the same. Though the front has a slight flaw I missed when I picked it up, dodged another bullet. Now look at the rear sides. Same shop? WTH? Makes me think the front is a new repro., though it's interior shows 20+ punch appearing dents in the back, about 1/4" each. Oh, and the part number on the replacement.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-26-2023 at 07:54 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote