Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #98
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

I forgot to add unlike the driver side where i was able to slide the spring and bushings or shackle into the stock frame hangers fairly easy. The passenger side was so tight it took me forever to get the front spring bolt thru the sleeve and thru the back side of the mount, I finally got the bolt thru after fighting it for about an hour with an alignment drift, jack, dead blow hammer ect, then tried to get the ORD shackle installed in the rear mount but it was also fighting me, plus it was past dark so i wrapped it up for the night.

I was thinking to myself i could sure use a Porta Power to get in there and open the mount up a little but i'm sure not gonna go buy one. Then i had an idea, simple but as it ended up pretty effective, i found a bolt, nut and 2 washers for each side, then greased up the threads and greased the washers and slipped into into place and started backing the nut into the outer part of the mount, i estimate i under pressure moved the outer part of the flange about 1/4" then cranked the nut in and released it, the mount of course looked like it came right back to the original spot but i took the bolt assy out and was able to work the ORD shackle into place with just a little effort. Worked like a champ!

Zoomed in a little too close, the threads are sticking out of the outer hole of the mount, Bolt head is against the back hole.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote