View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #106
cornerstone

Re: Uncle Loyd's 72' C-10

Thanksgiving morning (4 months ago) I had high hopes of firing the motor for the first time. I had my brother in law and his family coming over for dinner with us, and thought it would be great to have a second set of eyes on the first attempt. It cranked over just fine but wouldn't bust off. The first problem I found was a slap your forehead moment. I had previously installed an aftermarket air intake and filter and left the plastic bag on the element. You know, to keep it clean... Bonehead forgot to take off the bag so the pretty new straight element looked like a dried prune with a few cranks of the motor. After we had a good laugh at my expense and remedied that situation I gave it another go. Same thing... good crank with no fire. At that point I determined there was a nice spark, so the remaining possibility would be fuel or lack thereof. I had pressure to the mechanical pump on the back of the intake manifold, so my next conclusion was stuck injectors. I pulled the intake off and started the removal process. Of course they were not gonna just pop out like I hoped, so I sprayed some lube into the injector holes in hopes to soak in and make it easier to remove. While I had the intake off I looked down the runners to see if there was any indication of valve coking. To my surprise there was some buildup on the intake valve and runner. This is a downside of having Direct Injection, since there is no fuel in the air charge entering the cylinder, there is no cleaning effect to the intake valve. As combustion occurs, some gunk can blow by the intake valve before it fully seats. Sprint9 had warned me of this possibility since he has a 2014 Silverado and went through this problem already. He easily persuaded me to add a catch can to my system to assist with providing clean air to the intake and cylinder
Attached Images

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.

Last edited by cornerstone; 03-27-2020 at 10:41 AM.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote