View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 12:44 AM   #256
Richard

Re: Doing LS Swap - I have no idea what I'm doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleChief View Post
Got the call this weekend! My harness arrived at the tuner and he was finishing up my tune. Going to pick it up sometime this week. Hopefully, I can start working on the fuel system install. Want to get the tank mounted and start running the fuel lines. To do that, I'm going to have to cut out a couple of cross-braces - one Z-style crossmember on the frame, and one of the bed braces. I grabbed a piece of 1-1/2" angle from work to use as a mount/support for the tank. I'll fit it onto the frame rails and drill it to bolt into the frame, then I can drill the mounting holes for the tank.

Question - you guys that have done the Wrangler tank, did you use any tank straps to help support the tank? Or, has it been ok to just use the tank flanges to support the tank?
I am not a fan of using flanges on the tank to mount it. I have never seen one mounted that way from the factory. Seems like an easier less costly route. Must be a reason cars do not come that way. My thought is it may be okay for a rigid boxed or tube frame. But for an old frame that flexes and moves a bunch, not a good idea to me. A lot of people do it. Most if not all aftermarket tanks are made with flanges, which is one of the reasons I avoided aftermarket. Just my opinion.
Getting the rivets out can be a pain, but not really any harder than cutting the crossmember.

Last edited by Richard; 08-04-2021 at 12:49 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote