View Single Post
Old 11-01-2021, 05:32 PM   #535
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s English 2001 S10 Extra Cab 4.3 V6 Truck

I was headed out to go buy a few bits needed for the work planned today.

Just as I was about to leave for town.

The doorbell rang, I was out back, and thought it was Mickey next door, shouting at him to come around back, it turned out he was actually on his rear patio too, so I went around and found a cool guest out front.

The one and only Nick Wheeler (I do have surname envy)

Perfect timing, had he arrived 10 minutes later I would have been down the road in the truck.

So we had coffee, cookies, chat and then made our way down to the garage and started to address the brakes.

First problem identified was that the back plates are cut by guillotine in the factory, and a small bit of filing back, saw them slip in as expected.

Nick had pre-emptively brought his brake pipe flaring tools and some pipe for us to give making pipes a go.

Man on a mission.

So Nick showed me how to make one pipe, and then it was my turn.

How I like to learn.

Despite having made up all the nines for the C10 a few years ago, this tool is different and pretty foolproof.

Then add the hardware (remember it all only goes on one way if you want it to work)

The tool even shows you Operation 1 and then 2 to do the different sides.

Of course if you overdo the pressure like me……

Oooopps.

Cut off and start again, thankfully I had cut the pipe a bit longer than needed.

Next job was to do a second brake hose mounting plate.

Where do you buy something that is not for sale out there?

Grab some plate, copy it, cut to shape with tin snips, drill holes, file nd tidy, fold tabs etc.

Then time for a break, made some lunch, and then headed down to

The local motor spares shop, got the 500mm brake hose identified, and ordered one for tomorrow. Followed by the industrial estate, bought some shoulder bolts to replace the ones I hd bought from Rally Design as the ones they sent were the wrong thread pitch.
Followed by a visit to Aghabridge for some brake line fittings, some of which, along with the shoulder bolts, Nick will be trimming back on his lathe at home before we can fit them.

Back at home we refitted the drivers side calliper and then the pads, plates, pins, springs and R-clips followed by brake pipes and hose.

Pretty chuffed at this point.

And once turned aside the refit went quick.

One more coffee, a discussion about wheel adapters, wheel nuts, studs and lowering and then @Nickwheeler left for his next appointment which he can tell about.

A great day, thanks to having help and brains on site.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote