View Single Post
Old 05-20-2021, 08:02 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: Center windshield divider installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag493100 View Post
Could someone share a how-to or point me in the right direction on installing the center windshield divider for a 49 3100? I purchased one that came in three pieces. It has two tabs, one for each of the top and bottom end. Mine was missing so I don’t have a reference point. Thanks for the help!!

i have done a lot of these, it really depends on the quality of your windshield gasket. precision brand is cheap but its hard to get the screws to start. steele rubber is easy to get the screws in but it literally costs 5 times the precision part. I use steele now, much less frustrating.

put your glass in the rubber and install.

install your left and right inside windshield trim, the big "C" pieces

push the outer stainless piece in the holes in the rubber from the outside, it will stay.

tape the two tabs in place inside, they cover the gap between the left and right inner windshield trim. the holes in them are slotted, so the screw will hold them once installed, so you will make sure the slotted hole in the tab can let the screw through to the outside through the predrilled holes.

put the inside strip in and start the screws, they go through the inside strip and through the rubber into the stainless piece. it will help to have someone light but strong, lay over the hood and push the stainless piece.

if you have precision rubber gasket, it will be almost impossible to get the screws started. what I have done in the past is bought a really long screw with the same threads, I think its 10-28 but make sure (take the stainless piece to the hardware store and try them). I cut the heads off the long screws and thread them into the stainless piece and then stick them through the rubber to the inside. then I stack up the tabs and inner strip, and then use a 10-28 nut to cinch it all up.

once I have it cinched, i either replace the long screws with the right length one at a time, OR, most of the time I trim the length down and put an acorn nut on top of the regular nut, its a good look.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote