View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

"Tangerene Dream" then "Ella" and now?

Well, here we go again. I sold my '67 stepper and then I recently sold my '54 to an old friend who has been looking for a '54 to do a serious chop top mod on.

Well, I found a 1949 GMC 300 series dually 1 1/2 ton flatbed for 2 grand. It appears to be an original AZ truck because the lack of rust on the cab. All of the stainless trim is there and is in excellent shape as is the chrome grille. The cab is a 5 window and the doors don't have wing windows which is what I really wanted.

The original inline 6 is there and runs. The back of the cab around the rear window needs some serious work but everything else is in decent shape for the age of the truck.

Here is the plan and where I am asking for advice.

I want to dump the 1 1/2 ton frame and buy a S-10 long bed for the suspension and brakes. I want to make a 1/2 ton short bed out of it. I plan to rebuild the original 248 and use the 3 or 4 speed manual. (I am not sure which) I have read about flywheel swaps for going with a newer (I.E. 700R4) automatics but not sure I want to make a automatic out of it, but I did on my '67 stepper, so things can change.

Now, the rear axel is a 2 speed so did they put different transmissions in the medium duty trucks back then vs. the light duty ones? I know without knowing exactly which transmission is in there, it is only a guess but are the tranny's out of those years "compatible" (gear ratio wise) with the S-10 rear ends? In other words could I take the yoke from the '48 and have it grafted onto an S-10 drive shaft for fit and length and retain decent gear ratios?

I will have to locate a decent GMC bed and running boards but this is a very doable project that shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. I will get some pics tomorrow and post them.

Thanks for any advice and anything to look out for.

D

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 03-29-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote