View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Re: Need info on fuel tank for 62 stepside c10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0kfg View Post
I just have to ask WHY? unless its leaking I have never seen a reason to move the gas tank.
Guess you can't say that anymore..... here are a couple of very good reasons:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokomoooo View Post
Putting mine under the bed. My Dad constantly moaned about my gas tank being in the cab, I found out a couple weeks ago after I told him that I'm reloacting it that he saw two people burn to death in a chevy truck like mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Here is first hand testimony from one of the members here in regards to in cab tank safety. It is from “junkyardjohn”, post #25 on this thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=117123

IN 1977 I WAS HIT BROADSIDE AT AN INTERSECTION BY A DRUNK DRIVER (I WAS DOING 55 OR 60) CAUSING ME TO ROLL END OVER END IN MY 72 3/4 TON FORD. AFTER ROLLING ABOUT 80 YARDS, I STOPPED WITH THE TRUCK UPSIDE DOWN WITH MY HEAD PINNED TO THE GROUND. IT STOPPED IN A LITTLE DEPRESSION IN THE GROUND, & EVERYTHING WAS FROZEN(IT WAS DEC. 23rd IN MICHIGAN). THE BEHIND THE SEAT TANK WAS JUST FILLED. IT SPLIT, & ALL OF THE GAS DUMPED OUT OVER ME, & ALMOST DROWED ME IN GASOLINE, AS MY HEAD WAS PINNED TO THE GROUND. I WAS PINNED IN THE WRECKAGE FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES, I HAD PLENTY OF TIME TO PONDER THE PLACEMENT OF SUCH A FUEL TANK. THE ONLY REASON IT DIDN'T CATCH FIRE WAS MY BATTERY WAS THROWN OUT DURING ONE OF THE ROLLS. LUCKY ME-- I GOT OUT OF IT WITH A BROKEN BACK, 14 BROKEN RIBS, A BROKEN COLLAR BONE & ABOUT 300 STITCHES ON MY MELLON. SO YEAH .... IT IS KINDA A SAFETY THING.

I CONSIDER THESE TANKS A BIG BOMB BEHIND THE SEAT ALSO. THE REASON YOU DON'T HERE ABOUT ALOT OF THE PROBLEMS WITH THEM IS THAT MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO EXPERIANCED PROBLEMS WITH THEM ARE DEAD.
JOHN
Here is another thread on the topic of Should I leave the Fuel Tank in the Cab?

Last edited by lakeroadster; 04-09-2011 at 08:08 AM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote