View Single Post
Old 09-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #57
dagnabbitt

Re: Small Block Crate Engine Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy View Post
Did you get this installed? How does it run?

I originally was going to go with the GM 350/357 which was about the same price as the Blueprint 355 but there weren’t any in stock nation wide. And then I noticed that the GM part number changed and the price went up $1000.00! So I picked up the 355 from a local speed shop that had one in stock which saved me the shipping charges. I won’t be ready for a while to get mine installed but I was worried that Blueprint was going to raise their prices.
Sorry for the lack of an update, I really have to add some photos to my build thread as well.

To answer your question: the engine is simply amazing. I have never had a real hot rod before, but I do now. It has more HP and torque than the 6.0 in my Suburban 2500, and it is in a vehicle that is less than half the weight and with no traction control. When I pull out to pass someone I am pulling in front of them and hitting the brakes before I even have the gas to the floor. I don't know what you big block or LS guys are used to, but this engine is enough for me: I plan to buy another one for my other project as soon as I can get the funds together.

I struggled with the question of whether I should get the 355 or the brand new Blueprint 350 and made my decision based upon the cheaper price and nominally greater HP. I could still go either way.

What I am dealing with now is a persistent exhaust drone that is ruining my enjoyment of the truck. I have asked Blueprint for their opinion and perhaps some recommendations (they have recommendations on everything, carb, header gaskets, torque converters, etc) but haven't heard back from them.

That is one thing I didn't mention about Blueprint: they have rather poor customer service. The process of buying this engine was a bit like asking them to donate a kidney to me. Unanswered emails, unanswered phone calls, unreturned voicemails, at one point I had no confidence that I was going to see my engine and thought that perhaps I had given my credit card info to a bunch of scammers, it was that bad. Once the engine was delivered I thought I would get a call or an email - generic and autogenerated, even - asking me if I liked it and if I needed any technical support. Nothing, no followup since the purchase. Maybe that's normal, but for $6500 I expected a little better. Frankly, the engine deserves better, because they have a great product from what I can tell so far.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10

Last edited by dagnabbitt; 09-14-2021 at 10:12 AM.
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote