View Single Post
Old 06-18-2021, 02:05 PM   #8
SCOTI

Re: Caprice Rear Axle Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D View Post
I did a search and found nothing. From what I've read, they are about 3" narrower and still have the 5 on 5" bolt pattern. Seems as if a guy was handy with a welder, he could put leaf spring perches and get a narrowed rear end on the cheap. Or if you want a 4 link it's ready to go.
You'll want to verify axle tube size. The later Caprices & the ones w/the disc set-ups might have smaller axle tubes. Something to verify since most leaf axle pad brackets are 3". I know other housings under cars of the era had smaller diameter tubes; not sure on those.

You're correct on the fact that it could be a poor-mans narrowed housing. There are also lots of others that can fit that need. Knowing the best (closest) width for your wants is the starting point. Measure the distance between the farthest outboard portion of the fender openings where the tires might rub. Factor in the wheel width/back-spacing to determine what rear-end width will work. Google rear end widths for more info & that should help guide your options.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote