View Single Post
Old 10-23-2021, 10:07 PM   #11
burnin oil

Re: Rear differential

I have set them up by feel and done well. I couldn't find my adapters to put a 1/2" socket on the inch pound torque wrench. Pinion drag was set by the "yup feels good method". That front axle has been used daily with a trac rite and no issues. Painfull as it would be I can see setting up a rear-end that doesn't have side bearing preload without any measurement tool if you have alot of experience. Alot of crush seals are setup by professionals every day by the feels good method. We all struggle for that perfect pattern but probably near as many said that is close enough. Alot of set up is based on experience. I know that I can run a solid cams valves as this point and probably be within spec before ever breaking out the feeler gauges. Same way that I know how loose to leave the valve before locking down the poly locks and ending up at the correct lash. We have all been there and made something work whether it was from breaking a tool or not having one available. Especially think of road side repairs to get us home! Ideal, no, but it does work most of the time.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote