View Single Post
Old 03-06-2024, 08:50 AM   #184
sfont66

Re: 72 C10 for my 25th wedding anniversary

One thing I forgot to add in , is the need to shorten ( or buy new) rocker arm bolts for the rockers that will be used for the intake valve.
This is needed only on aftermarket heads, or heads that have been ported. When the heads are ported , and material is ground/removed from the intake runners, it is common for the area around the rocker arm bolts that protrudes into the intake runners to be opened up. This tends to leave the tips of the stock rocker arm bolts exposed and protruding into the intake runner, and potentially obstructing air flow.Research shows Comp cams and Edelbrock sell shorter bolts, but I just chose to shorten the stock bolts. The stock bolts needed almost 3/8th” removed to keep them from protruding into the intake runners, and the tip of the bolt isn’t threaded for the first 1/4”, so I cut off the tips plus 1 full thread.
When installing the rockers, the intake bolt needs to be sealed so that oil can’t be sucked past the threads and into the intake runners. I used ultra black RTV silicone.
The exhaust side is still a blind hole so it doesn’t need to be shortened and can use just a small amount of blue loctite, or nothing at all.

I didn’t want to wait any longer, and needed to get something done on a day off , so I installed the pushrods and rockers, making sure to use assembly lube on the tips of the pushrods and rockers.
Attached Images

Last edited by sfont66; 03-07-2024 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Correct information
sfont66 is offline   Reply With Quote