View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 05:10 PM   #3
rtinniste

Re: Mustang II IFS Ride Quality VS S10 Swap

I'm input might be slightly invalid but i went thru the same thing. I ended up going s10 route since i wanted 4 wheel disc small block and bagging my AD.

Here's my input cant say much about ride quality on the s10 my dad had a 2001 gmc sonoma with a 4/6 drop when I was younger and he said he liked they way it drove.
My brother in law has a 54 ad with a mustang II and I've rode in it a couple times and heard his complaints and seen his issues first hand.

mustang II
PRO'S
you'll be driving your truck sooner
original frame is more appealing when you sell
you can keep the straight 6
it rides pretty good not a lexus type ride quality but better then the straight axle
there's bolt on options so no welding if your not confident with welding

CON'S
He was running stock control arms and his tension rod has broken a couple times so hes in the process of putting tubular control arms
his alignment goes out of wack with how the upper arm gets adjusted
more up front cost

S10
PROS
good after market support 4 links, bags, steering etc
wear items are in stock at autozone, napa, pepboys, etc
will drive like a s10
tons of info on laying those frames out online
if you enjoy figuring stuff out and fabricating its fun
plenty of info about how to do the swap on this forum
-the alignment will hold better
-its actually light duty truck stuff not a car suspension
-the feeling of accomplishment when its done knowing you built it
-you spend money in stages

CON'S
-Truck will sit in the garage longer
-you'll get discouraged wonder why you even did it
-lots of beer drinking and head scratching
-not as appealing to some people
-engine bay gets tight with a 350
- you might end up opening a bigger can of worms dont ask me how i ended up with a second cab *cough cough* bondo bucket

Similarities
-end up costing about the same at the end of the day maybe slightly more with the s10 depending how crazy you go
-both have tons of info on how to
-both will lay running boards if you want bags

As for the stock frame I said the same but I find them on craigslist for $200 bucks. So don't let cutting the original frame up worry you they aren't worth much right now

As for mine I'm running a thor bros 4 link, 4wd blazer rear end with a posi and 3:73 gears, 350/th350 combo, speedway circle track tubular upper controls arms dehumped stock lowers, little shop of horrors no toe steering system, jags that run s10 motor swap mounts flipped custom trans crossmember, stock zr2 manual steering box, my cab is mounted 4" above the frame

It smashes the running boards and fenders on the ground so i can add adjustable bump stops to get it to lay out nice and still have decent PSI in my bags for driving low. But I do need a small trans hump have about a inch between valve cover and fire wall. My steering looks like it will be simple with the clipster headers and stock AD steering column.

End of the day I feel like i'm going to have a real nice setup and i'm happy with my choice, motor might get changed eventually to either a LS or 4bt cummins when funds allow.

Hopefully that can all be of help to you seems like there's always mixed answers and haters on both sides
rtinniste is offline   Reply With Quote