Thread: 72 RAT Build.
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Redleg

Re: 72 RAT Build.

Well just to give a short update.

Ive talked myself out of a few things......

Mainly the roll pan and the tail gate cover and billet front grille.

I want to keep the truck with as much original style equipment as possible...

So im looking for a tailgate in good condition.........

So, the entire front of the truck was blacked out this weekend minus the bowtie and the bumper.....

The grille, bezels, trim, etc....All black.....Yes there was a reason. It is a 39 year old truck with everything original....So it was cracked, faded, chipped... its amazing what a little black paint can do.....

Also the rear old steel bumper got a good coat of paint as well. That made a world of difference....

Yes yes i know i know this thread is worthless without pics....At least thats the way it is over in the Harley forums anyway.....

Also got started on the interior just a tad.... Repaired the door sill on the drivers side....It really needs replaced. But all i have is a carport and limited resources since the move and a welder, and shop are not one of them...So cover up was necessary at this stage....

Now the problem. The truck is a SHOP RAT as I call it. It has a rattle can paint job....Well as most know the hood and cab fades very quickly....Well i tried to fix that this weekend to no avail. I could not get the paint to stick to save my life. I cleaned sanded wiped, shot....nothing. Only real luck i had was taking a spot down to bare metal. At that point i was able to get the first layer to apply correctly, but the 2nd just powdered up....Maybe the humidity???? What sucks is i worked late into Sunday night on it and had to leave it as is because heavy rain on Monday and Today and its my DD.

Other news is i am having no luck locating a local T-5. Found a WC T-5 down in Gulfport but really need the NWC. So the search continues.....

Wow a short update turned into a book....sorry about the rambling.......
Some trucks in the air, some layin' frame.
some are super cool, and some kinda lame.
Some kinda slow, and some really fast.
some run on 110,and some on pump gas!
Redleg is offline   Reply With Quote