Thread: Wampus Cat
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2021, 02:09 PM   #112
SCOTI

Re: Wampus Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCajun View Post
I've been getting by with using my roll-around portable engine hoist for lifting heavier items but that becomes a bit difficult reach when lifting something large like the truck bed.

I decided to try one of the cable hoists that are sold by various sources and is rated at 1300 lb. This one is from eBay, made in China but shipped from California in a couple days. The hoist comes with brackets to hang it from square tubing. I wanted to mount this to the peak of the workshop roof frame, so I welded up a bracket to hang it from the central beam joint bolts.

For some reason, all of these hoists are supplied with a short control cable, so I spliced in an extension.

So far, it works great. I've used it to take the bed on and off my truck a couple of times (and my bed has a 3/16 thick tread-plate floor so its pretty heavy).
What did that one set you back? I was looking @ various ~120v electric hoists a while back but like you mentioned it's expensive as heck (commercial stuff) or 'made in china' cheap w/no real in between.

I have my pallet rack set-up as a budget gantry hoist frame. I wanted a portable set it up that would work indoor, outdoor, & allow using my trailer winch via 12v power if required. I planned to get an electric hoist until I ran into the issue stated above (price vs. quality). The racking is capable/rated @ 3k pounds total but max I would use it for is bed/cab/drivetrain lifting so I used 700# rated caster wheels for it & looked for something in the 2k pound range.

Thus far I've used a manual chain hoist but Harbor Freight had a ~$300/2k lb rated 120v hoist made by Pittsburg Automotive that was my possible choice. I was just skeptical on quality....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote