View Single Post
Old 03-13-2023, 01:45 PM   #57
Chaparralman1974

Re: My 1967 Chevy K20 Build Thread

3/12/2023
Transfer Case Teardown, Cleaning and Painting
I had originally planned to simply clean up the transfer case, install new gaskets, and paint it but after thinking on it for awhile I decided that I might as well do it right and conduct a total rebuild of the gear box. After all, when am I going to have it on the bench again anyway? The tear down was actually quite easy. It was a bit intimidating at first but with the chassis overhaul manual available it really isn’t rocket science. The key is to take your time during disassembly and to put everything out in such a way that it is easy to identify. Also, orientating things on the workbench as they come out of the case should make reassembly easy.
I found that the bearings were so-so on it, so they will be replaced. Also, since the bearings are needing to be changed, I will need to redo all the shims in the bearing caps. I put in an order with Torque King 4x4 to order all of the parts that will be needed to do a complete rebuild. This includes new bearings, races, seals, gaskets, and shims.
I did notice that the input shaft was a little chewed up. Fortunately, the input shaft on the spare transfer case was in excellent condition, so I will be swapping those.
I soaked the case in a solution of oil eater and Arm and Hammer Washing soda for a few hours and then hit the case with a pressure washer. I followed that up by plenty of brake cleaner and compressed air after chasing all the threads in all the bolt holes. I then masked up all of the gasket surfaces and sprayed 3 coats of Glidden Brick Red Satin spray paint. It isn’t perfect, but it is close enough for my needs.
Attached Images

Build Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841272
Chaparralman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote