Thread: My New Truck
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2022, 08:20 PM   #149
evan

Re: My New Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factory Guy View Post
I started by testing the sealing of the valves and found that several had issues so this lead me to rebuild my own heads...

First I disassembled the heads looking for cracks (found nothing!). Then I soaked them down with some oven cleaner. Then I power washed the SH** out of them, they were way dirtier than I would have guessed. Then I bead blasted them (mostly just the combustion cambers) I avoided the temptation to do the deck surfaces. Inspected all the valves, and seats (all looked great). I decked the cylinder head surface as shown in the Powernation video, with the big metal tube highlighted by the yellow arrows, below (however, I didn't start with 80 grit, I used 120 grit to start with), that took away the rest of the old gasket material on the cylinder head deck, and I felt very confident in the fact the heads were now flat. Are the race engine certified?

NO, but for my truck they ought to be pretty good.

I pretty much lapped the valves in, as this guy at Horsepower Monster shows in his video:

https://youtu.be/Ik4sj46xWmA
Nice, thanks for the extra detail. I went down the rabbit hole of Richard Holdener videos on Youtube and picked up a set of 706 heads to replace the 317's that came on my LQ4. I'm going to copy your process on them.