Thread: 47-55.1 Best way to ship a rear end
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2022, 12:21 AM   #16
mr48chev

Re: Best way to ship a rear end

When I was working for Seneca foods I bought a 5 gallon pail of Zep big orange degreaser. One of the boiler operators raved about how great it worked. Come to find out he had used about two gallons of it straight to clean the floor with. That 5 gallons was supposed to make about 100 gallons mixed right. I'm not sure if it was that or another Zep product but I used one in a spray bottle to clean the front of parts cabinets in that plant and if you let it set without rinsing it off it would eat into the paint. Those things probably had 15 layers of paint on them.

The Krud Kutter is a great degreaser and paint remover for what you can stick in the vessel it is in and is about 15 bucks a gallon. It mixes about four or five gallons of water to a gallon for best results.

I've used Oil Eater a lot just to spray on a part, let it soak and rinse it off when cleaning engine parts and it works good and it works good on garage floors or driveways.

A buddy of mine who's family owned an independent parts house for probably 50 years before they sold the building and he became a full time care taker for his brother said that he had been selling Oil Eater to use in hot tanks instead of caustic powder. When we had the hot tank in the school shop I'd let it boil down pretty dry and shovel it out and put it in the dumpster when it needed changing.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote