View Single Post
Old 12-24-2006, 01:51 AM   #3
SlammedDime

Re: driveshaft and pinion angles

Quote:
Originally Posted by el curioso View Post
Heres some very help full info on this SITE IMO it's one of the best rear suspension pages I Have read.
I disagree, however maybe thats because I used to run bagginit.com and no longer do and know its going down the ****ter.

OP: Here's what I'm getting from your post: The operating angle between your tranny and first shaft is 4° and the operating angle between the first and second shaft is 16° (pretty extreme... anything over 8 will cause joints to wear more quickly over time). Taking the larger number from the smaller, we get a total operating angle of 12°. That means that the operating angle between the second shaft and pinion needs to be 12°. You have a second shaft pointing up at 8° and your pinion pointing down 5° towards the front of the truck. Subtract them, and you get 3° all together. As you can see, 12 and 3 are pretty far apart. In order to correct that, your pinion would have to tilt down around 20°, which is pretttttty extreme.

I would highly recommend that you look into shimming up the transmission and the carrier bearing as well. This will decrease the angles between the first and second shafts, and will thus require a smaller angle between the pinion and second shaft. What kind of drop or setup do you have on this truck? At what height are you trying to set this up at?

I guess the biggest misconception that a lot of people have is that it all revolves around the angles of the objects to mother earth, but its really about the angles between the different objects and how they interact (their operating angles, which you saw me mention).

Something else I should ask, on your two shaft setup, do you have single joints connecting everything, or are they double cardan joints (which would make life hell of a lot easier)?
SlammedDime is offline   Reply With Quote