Thread: Engine?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #38
ItsRandy

Re: Engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super73 View Post
Most converter companies will set a converter at Peak TQ or a couple hundred RPM past for max 1/4 mile ET on a NA motor. You will go fastest out of the hole hitting the tires with everything you can TQ wise. So, to me, with a drag racing application, you must consider shift extensions of the transmission you are using. Looking at average power in that rpm range is much more important that what is under the curve. Since most transmissions will create more than a 1k rpm drop having a longer peak to peak rpm band is not a bad thing.

Example:
My motor makes peak TQ at 5,500 rpm and peak HP at 6,950 rpm.
Data logger shows a shift at 7,700rpm with the glide and it comes back in second at 5,600.
Data logger shows another pass I shifted at 6,500 and rode the converter at 5,200ish.

Since I should be shifting the old combo about 7,100, I want the most average power between the converter at 5,200 and 7,100 meaning 1,900rpm.

Now I have a 5,200 rpm verter vs a 5,700 due to using a N20 system.

Does any of that make sense?

Some will argue that riding the converter will help multiply TQ with the gear changes and net a better ET. I think that is dependant on combo.

There is much more to this, it's not that plain and simple, but something to consider. Road cars, street cars and drag cars are all differentand require different things.
Thank you for the education. I've said this before...great picture of your truck with the left front wheel in the air.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote