View Single Post
Old 11-27-2021, 10:40 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Hughes torque converters

I want a broader range of people to ask so I pose the question here. My "trans" went out in my truck last week. With having my son, Thanksgiving, and work. I a have not been able to pull it out yet.

While covering a couple of over night shifts I have been aimlessly researching my issue. To get a better handle on where to look when I pull it out Sunday or Monday.

So as I was looking about how to remove the front pump. Which was my first choice for failure. A few people mentioned there torque converters were the cause, and it did not kill the trans.

So I looked up Summit where I got the converter, and it is a Hughes 2500rpm stall non lock up th700r4 version. People seem to say these are not the best converters, and honestly I knew that. Based on price alone. So no surprise here. Yet some people described the exact same symptoms I thought were a shift kit being set a little hard. So my new reasoning is my converter was the whole issue, and my trans is probably fine. Atleast for a year or two so I can save for the 4L80e my truck really should have.

So let's say my new hypothesis is correct. The converter is shot. And I won't be buying a another Hughes. I am stupid, but not crazy here.

So I have a choice of TCI who makes commercially available converters that fit what I have, and have done. Or I go let's say custom with Yank for now.

Since my trans died, and I have already bought another engine to swap a cam into. To bleed off some cylinder pressure to stop my pinging issues. I could have a 410hp 350, 440hp 350, 440hp 383, or alot closer to 500hp 383 then I have now. These are all educated guess based on the cam, and head selections I could hybrid togather. As I could either use stock heads which flow around 210 cfm or my AFR's which would be atleast 250+. Old heads, and info no longer available. Along with my Comp 306 cam. I may leave the 383 in place if the cylinder walls are good, and rebuild the heads. Will find out Monday for sure.

How do TCI converters stack up to let's say 500hp/475tq from a 383 sbc? Or is it I am close to or exceded the limit, and just go big here.

Also of the premium converter companies. Anyone have a favorite, and why? Other trans option is a 4L60E if TH700R4 has died.

What is the lead time on custom jobs right now if someone has a line on that.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote