View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
kentukblue

Newbie...Big Build Questions (51')

HELLO! First Post here...and when we get working Ill put together a build thread. But a few Poll questions first.

VISION:
Were planning a 2006 LS 6.0L LQ9 VortecMAX(SS engine) swap into my late fathers 1951 Chevy 3100 5 window. Donor truck is lined up and ready. Not necessarily looking for a Pro-touring style truck but want it to perform well on the road. Dropped a few inches from stock with wider wheels but not laying frame.

Initially we were looking at an S-10 swap since that seems to be the popular(and cheap) way to go but the more I dig the more it seems that an IFS/mustang II isnt going to be that much more after cab/body mounts are bought and might offer more performance and better looks.

QUESTIONS:

#1: Frame/ Front Suspension: S-10 or OEM with IFS/Mustang II (Scott's, Heidts)?...Why or why not?

#2: Rear End: With the 6.0L LQ9 producing 345HP & 380ft/lb that originally carried a 4.10 HD rear what would be a good application for the 51'(or S-10) frame? Would a 3.73 - 8.5 4x4 Blazer axle handle it? Exlporer 8.8? Or should I be looking for something heavier? I'm guessing maybe I should match the original LS rear's 4.10 gearing?

#3: Rear Suspension: With either frame choice what rear suspension(outside of a 4 link) offers a lower ride height with road performance?

THANKS
kentukblue is offline   Reply With Quote