View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 12:06 PM   #400
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Re: Pic Thread: Not Just El Caminos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I drove one company truck back in the 80's. I just called it a Rabbit pickup. It was a diesel and yessir, it was a slug alright but in a flat land town it did alright and it was thrifty on fuel. I never understood how it was called a Caddy but some groups still refer to them as that.
My father in law bought a new VW Dasher diesel in 80. He ran a paper route and said for the first 6 months or so he had to turn the A/C off and back up some small hills cause it wouldn't pull up going forward.
It did get about 45 mpg though on the flat ground.
If I'm not mistaken VW only made the little pkup two years. I wouldn't mind having one today just to fool around in.
Reminds me of the Plymouth Arrow company truck I had way back when. What a gutless useless steaming pile that thing was. But that's what they gave me so that's what I had.

I had to get on the freeway once and it was a short onramp. Really short and there was a hill behind it. I got on and suddenly there was a 18 wheeler semi truck flying down that hill right behind me..Closing in fast. So I punched it... Nothing...I had the pedal to the metal... Absolutely nothing. I'm lucky that trucker must have had some good brakes because I couldn't get out of his way in that pile of junk.

Here's one. Right where it belongs.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote