View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
rou
I can see the finish line!

Post Re: Our first Build - '71 C20 LWB

One of my brothers recently moved to NJ from Eugene OR and he has joined our little project team. It is nice to have family helping and supporting the build.

Rocker panel and cab corner

Besides the surprise of the “new” roof, the rest of the cab is in really good shape. I am replacing the rockers, rusted bottoms of A and B posts and cab corners and massaging the previous repairs a little. Due to the tight space we are going to work the passenger side all the way through primer and then do the driver side.
First thing we did was weld a steel bar across the door opening and use a tie down around the back of the cab to keep everything from moving (Bruce88 again). The welds between the inner and out cab panels on the front of the door openings had all given away and the whole door frame would move when the doors were opened, so I drilled new holes and spot welded each side, What a difference in the stability of the cab!

I cut away the rocker and was pleasantly surprised. I replaced the bottom section of the A post first, and then cut away the bottom of the B post. The bends from the replacement part were over .5” off, but luckily I saved the original piece and welded it back on to just below the bad bend, and then welded the new piece on and everything looked great. Lesson learned her is to remove the minimum effected area while still providing structural integrity.
Next I tackled the cab corner. After much measuring, marking and staring, I dove in and cut off the corner. This is the our first foray in to real body work, so it was a little intimidating.
Attached Images

rou is offline   Reply With Quote