Thread: 47-55.1 Long Time Coming......
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2022, 06:13 PM   #56
gsinon

Re: Long Time Coming......

Thanks for the feedback on the rolled pan. Sometimes stepping outside the box can be risky. It can go really right, or really wrong. I like this and am looking forward to finishing it up.

I had to take a break from the truck while I put quarter panels and a tail pan on a friends 55 Chevy. While at it I spent far too long working the gaps to get them right. With the metal work done he picked up the car and will do body work himself, so I am now back on the truck.

Once he picked it up I moved my project front and center in the shop. I pulled the cab to start the process of building an exhaust system. I've never done this and wanted to take on the project just for the sake of saying I did it myself. So with that I bought a universal mandrel exhaust kit from Summit. It comes with a bunch of straight pipes, along with four 45*, four 90* and four U bends. I also bought an X pipe kit. Luckily for me I have a metal band saw and put it to good work. This is all aluminized, once fully welded I am going to have it all Cerakoted. I need two more 45* pieces which I have just ordered. Once I have those I can finish the ends of the tailpipes, then take it all off for full welding.

Hope you like it. If you have any critiques please feel free to offer it up. Having never done this I just did what I thought was right.

First thing was get the truck over on my scissor lift and remove the cab.

The passenger side frame rail need to be notched for clearance of the manifold and exhaust...

Here is the kit all laid out...these mufflers ended up not working, I needed center inlet and outlet.

going from the manifold down to the X pipe...

And the X pipe....
I did a bunch of reading on the X pipe and placement. Everyone says it should be as far forward as possible for performance. I struggled with this due to my Progressive Automotive X member. In order to get the X pipe where it should be optimally I would have had to have it hanging too low for my liking. Keeping in mind I am just running a 350hp crate motor and this will just be a street cruiser I don't think I will even notice the difference.

1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829856
gsinon is offline   Reply With Quote