View Single Post
Old 06-06-2023, 12:48 PM   #19
mrein3

Re: Question about oil viscosity

My thoughts on modern oil and cams...

I flattend out 3 or 4 or 5 cams in my 350 that came with my truck. I finally gave up and built a flat tappet 383. I broke it in per cam manufacturer spec, ran only the Valvoline VR1 racing oil. And flattend out that cam after about 10,000 miles.

I installed a 307 I had laying around that has never been opened and proceeded to flatten that cam.

I have 3.73 rear end gears and a th350. I think the simple fact is we can't run these engines with crappy over the counter oil and today's highway speeds.

I have given up on flat tappet cams. I have flat tappet cams in my two Chevelles but they are only driven to the grocery store and to church on Sunday but when they do get on the road they have 2.73 rear ends and cruise along quite nicely on the open road.

My truck, which I like to take out on the road and also pull stuff with is never going to see another flat tappet cam. I have a Vortec 350 under the bench that just needs my time and a bit of my money which in this economy I never seem to have at the same time. For now we limp along, barking out of the carb and blowing smoke out of that 51 year old, never opened 307.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote