View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 08:22 AM   #27
bsarts

Re: 62 K20 Fixer-Upper

I decided to tackle the roof above the windshield. They don't make a patch panel specifically for the pre 64s and I knew that the 64 and later patches would work with some extra effort and I think I made the right choice in not trying to utilize both ends of the patch with the sunvisor holes. I cut out about a foot from the pass. side where metal was good and had more freedom with modifying the dr. side end at the corner. I read the other threads that detailed the roof skin removal and was curious as to what I'd find in the way of mouse nests,( with this being a north Montana ranchers' truck and all). I didn't have a mouse house, I had a mousy condominium complex, complete with a deceased former resident. Now I know why the original seat was replaced, because all the stuffing got tore out and put into the roof! It was kind of a nasty job cleaning it out because of the several decades worth of mouse poo packed into the seam above the windshield, also dangerous because that dried out stuff can make you sicker than hell if you breathe in the dust.

Anyway, I got the inner and outer pieces put in and had to fab a little piece for the pillar beyond where the roof patch would reach, it looked kinda rough before it went in but, considering my abilities and experience, I was pretty proud of it, it filled the hole and looked pretty good when it was welded in. I cleaned up under the roof skin and painted it with some rust converter and put some insulation up there and welded it back down.
Attached Images

bsarts is offline   Reply With Quote