View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 05:17 PM   #3738
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Right.

Back to our regular transmission of Non Projecty Blazer actions.

Remember the steering wheel and horn button dilemma plus the standard grille?

Today a Scotsman called Kevin Bruce replied to my FB request wit a complete steering wheel and not one but two standard grilles.

Of course I already bought the new in box grille that has been collected by Kevin up in Derbyshire and is now waiting for me to head over there tomorrow night to party I to the new year and collect.

The steering wheel looked like the one Ian has sent by courier but then Dennis immediately picked up that it was different, with a wider button, so I said it to Kevin and he replied that he also had just a single narrow horn button and that I could have that for nothing, he would pop it in the post ASAP.

Stars align some times.

After collecting and dropping off the gas bottles with Prozac, I headed to the industrial estate to find some different sizes of electric heat shrink, as I am going to go through all the wires on the truck and solder and heat seal every joint.

While there I bought a few cans of white primer and white spray paint for the Blazer
For various jobs that will be needing doing. £41.00 later.

Why all the paint, you may ask me.

Because some of the panels and paint look like this, not all of it, but there are small repairs to be done over time, just to turn it from 50yard truck to 10 yard truck, or even closer.

Last night......

Reversing in the dark, down the side of my house, I managed to do this stupid thing.

So it needed to be addressed sooner than later.

Fortunately, only 23 layers of paint damaged, no metal damage.

Sanded back, masked and wiped panel down.
Primed, drying helped with heat gun.
Then three coats of paint applied with heat gun gently helping dry it all between coats.

And as good as it gets after dark.

Tomorrow fine water paper to remove small ridge and to blend old and new paint, minimal polish. As it needs to blend with ****e paint in place.

As good as it will be getting.

I call it done.

Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote