View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 10:00 PM   #20
TX3100Guy

Re: Unexpected disk brake - wheel problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I've run 14-7 on the front since around 1975 and used to run 14-8-1/4 Crager Mach 8's on the rear, Since around 1990 it has had Enkie 32's 14x7 on the front and 15x8 on the rear with 195-60 14 on the front and 255-60-15 on the rear. That for a staggered hot rod look with the percentage of sidewall to wheel on the fronts pretty close to the precentage of sidewall to wheel on the rear being fairly equial Per what Boyd Coddington suggested in the late 80's. Most of his earlier builds had a larger diameter wheel on the back than on the front and had that balance between front and rear.

Back when it still had the Crager Mach 8s on it.

Still and I know that some might get tired of me saying it, Wheel and tire choice have to match your total build theme and have to be a working and contributiting component of the total look. They shouldn't overpower the truck and turn it into a background for a wheel add but on the other hand they shouldn't look settled for as most white spoke wheels scream on old trucks. When you look at a vehicle your eyes should not pick out one specific component before they take in the whole vehicle as a total package. That is any part of the rig unless you are specifically looking for that part. If you scroll down the page or flip pages or are walking though a show and your eye picks out a component before you see the whole rig as a unit that component is wrong for that truck.
I pretty much agree with you. Given the pedigree of this truck (was a pusher truck on the Bonneville salt flats), a 1959 261cu/in inline six engine with a McCulloch supercharger, a vertex magneto, and a Hallibrand quick change diff. I'm definitely going for more of a hot rod look than a low rider.

While I have 15 inch wheels, I did have slightly different sizes 215/75/15 front and 235/75/15 rear. I'm really torn on what to do to correct my disk/caliper issue. It seems that when I find a wheel size that has the appropriate offset (negative) it seems too wide for the brand spanking new tires I already own.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote