View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 11:49 PM   #3
Rokcrln

Re: 67 hood on a 69-72 LFD style

Once I was happy with the fit I removed the hood and trimmed the extra metal off and again test fit the hood (are you starting to see a patern yet). This time I was looking to see how the gap was between the hood front edge and the grill shell. Keep in mind the stock gap of a 69-72 is not very tight to start with and trying to match that gap will make life alot easier. I wanted to test my self and close that gap way up so I was going for about 1/8 to 3/16". To get this tight of a gap I trimmed the hood bback to about a 1/4" gap because I knew I would hem the edge with an 1/8" tig welding rod. This will give you a good edge to weld to and help keep the edge from warping as bad because you will have the rod to help soak up the heat.

But lets not get ahead of our selves. If you like the way the front edge fits it is now time to check the profile from the side and you may need to trim the 70 hood brace front edge until the front edge of the 68 sit down just right. Once that is done and you are happy with all the gaps and fitment of the hood it is time to tack weld the brace to the front edge of the 68. Once that is done then re-install the hood latch and give it a try. If it all works good then pull off the hood (yes again) and we will cut and weld the inner structure together before finishing the front edge.
Attached Images