View Single Post
Old 04-18-2020, 06:18 PM   #41
SCOTI

Re: Center link hitting crossmember???

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardogle View Post
I read this post from the beginning, because, my 71 shortbed is (near as I can tell) 100% stock and my centerlink definitely touches the Crossmember, which is still in with its factory original rivets. My steering box and pittman is also original (probably, but I did have it rebuilt a year ago due to leaking at the bottom shaft and now I am wondering if the leak was age related or if the center rod was pushing the steering box shaft, even just a little bit, when it rubbed the centerlink. If I was thinking to remedy this the only solutions I can think of are 1) reconfigured center link, or 2) slightly shorter Pittman arm and corresponding idler arm, or maybe, 3) new holes for both the box and the idler. IMHO, #2 seems easiest.
The center link travels very closely to the front x-member structure that's bolted in (it's not riveted). If it made contact w/the x-member, the steering wheel would hang-up/bind every time it occurred. There would also be wear marks where it make contact.

Not counting some sort of damage that could easily have happened in a lifetime of miles, the only way the center-link could make contact on the x-member would most likely be if the center-link, Tie-rods, steering box, or Pitman arm/Idler were changed @ some point.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote