View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 08:22 AM   #15
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Re: 1947 Panel Truck Frame swap with ’88 k2500

I know you already have the one but an X cab frame is slightly longer. About 141.5" or so. I started this with my son's truck once upon a time but he decided to stay straight axle. There is a seam under the 88's doors that takes the front cradle from boxed to the rear C channel. You can grind the welds out and cut the frame to length in 10 minutes. It is the same as doing an S10 swap using an X cab S10 frame. The 1 ton wheelbase is actually about 1.5" shorter than it should be so adding that back in you'd be about 140" for a rear centering wheel base.

There are several guys that have done this swap with pickups and they don't come out too bad. Late model HD rims look pretty sweet on these trucks, especially if powdercoated in a gray/silver color rather than the polished finish. 2008+ centercaps on them don't look so bad with them. I'll get you some photos from his truck as it sits.

If you are really concerned about width, you can swap a 1.5+ ton nose on and look at widening rear fenders. The one thing I would caution is make sure the damn rear wheels will come off with the fenders on. We have a set of rims with a deeper offset but couldn't get them onto the stock axle with spacers. We will swap to an 88+ 3.73 rear end here this summer but had to go back to the HDs because we just couldn't fit them onto the rear without dropping an axle because the fender hits!

Good luck. I'll keep an eye on this one. I've had 2 of those 3800s run through here and I dig them. 2 3800 pickups as well. I walked past Eli's 49 panel last night and thought "my suburban looks like a baby".

Last edited by Dan Bowles; 06-14-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote