View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #8
omodified

Re: "Midnight Rider" 1970 C10 SWB Fleetside

The name, "Midnight Rider"

I have never really been one to assign a vehicle a name. I had owned this truck for about 8 years, when a name just started popping into my head. At that point, there was no need for a name, but it still just kept tugging at me. When I decided it was time for the full restoration, the name started to make more sense. This truck will in fact be a show vehicle for the first year at least and every good show vehicle deserves a name (I think lol). So....

I have always liked The Allman Brothers Band. I grew up with their music courtesy of my Father. Even though these guys were from Daytona Beach Florida, they later adopted Macon Georgia as their home. They made a lot of great music there and the people of Georgia loved these guys. Now, I am originally from the Midwest (same city as Moraine Truck Plant, Delco Moraine and Harrison Radiator), but early in my adult life, I relocated to Atlanta. Even in the 1990's and 2000's, it was amazing to see how popular The Allman Brothers music still was in this area. I lived and worked right off Hwy 41. I always thought this was cool because that was where Gregg Allman was born (in the backseat of a Greyhound bus - not really lol). Ultimately, it is also where Gregg was laid to rest. During my time in Atlanta, I met a guy named Talmedge. Tal owned a blue 1971 C10 swb that was lowered with 15x10 wheels. I never really noticed these trucks before, but I'm pretty sure his truck began my affinity for them. Since then, I had always promised myself that I would own one some day. I don't know where Tal is today, but I am thankful for having met him and introducing me to the C10 life.

As you already know from reading my cleanup thread from post#1, this truck was manufactured at the Atlanta Georgia plant. From what I know, it was originally sold in Atlanta and spent all of it's life there too. That is, until I brought it home to North Carolina in 2011. The trip to buy the truck was my first time back to Atlanta since I moved away in 2004. That trip has a lot of memories for my family as we visited some of our favorite places that we missed so dearly. We have visited many times since then, but I could never live there again with all the expansion and traffic headaches. Besides, North Carolina is now our forever home. Even though we love NC, Georgia will always hold a special place in our hearts.

With all the tie-ins this truck has to my past, it seems like fate brought us together. So, I am making this truck a tribute to the music I love and all of the wonderful years I lived in Georgia.

I present to you...the "Midnight Rider"

Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848

Last edited by omodified; 01-11-2022 at 10:21 PM.
omodified is offline   Reply With Quote