View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 06:57 PM   #28
c10hevy

Re: 1987 V2500/3500 12v nv4500 build

So...after talking with Advanced Adapters, the ORD is the same as their factory replacement Dodge adapter (even though it has a different part number).. so the ORD description of “…everything you need to adapt your 23 spline 47RE, 727, etc to a small bearing figure 8 NP205 case!” is still technically true, but the 47RE output shaft and coupler must be cut approximately 0.5".
This makes the output shaft flush with the rear flange of the transmission, making it the same stick out length as the 518 trans that the Dodge NP205 came stock on.

Since I have a stock dodge adapter, I will be returning the ORD piece and making the cuts.
I bought a fancy new Dewalt portable band saw and already cut the coupler down 0.5".
I was thinking I could do the same on the trans output shaft without pulling it out of the truck, but Im now having second thoughts.

I was planning on stuffing the rear of the trans with shop rags, taping it closed, and use the rear flange of the trans as a fence for the blade....but that's seeming more and more sketchy the more I think about it.

Then I was thinking about pulling the overdrive housing and cutting it still in the OD housing, but how would I stop the shaft from spinning? use the coupler as a lock and clamp that?

Or do I need to do it the hard way and remove the output shaft from the OD housing to cut it correctly?
c10hevy is offline   Reply With Quote