View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 08:05 PM   #12
kipps

Re: Exhaust/Mufflers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
I went with Magnaflow XL 3 chamber mufflers. I wanted something not too loud. At first I just had turn downs behind the mufflers and there was a lot of drone. Tailpipes to the back helped that. Not quiet by any means but tasteful and of course louder when you tromp on it. I have shorty headers.
Can you explain what you mean by drone? I've been hearing the term for some time, but haven't been sure. Is it simply exhaust note in the cab, or is it something worse?

Reason I ask, I'm building the truck in my signature, and I WANT to clearly hear the engine in the cab, but I want it as quiet as possible outside the truck. It's fun to have a deep exhaust note when rowing the gears, but I don't want the neighbors to say, "There he goes again..."

I know this truck will have less insulation on the firewall than the donor Tahoe did. I don't know how much I'll hear the engine itself through the firewall, without needing to add the exhaust note to it as well.

I've driven two trucks extensively that had a single glasspack and a turn down exhaust underneath the bed. One was a 1973 f100 with a 360fe, and the other is a 1981 f150 with a 300i6. I'm currently driving the second one. I've really enjoyed the exhaust note of both, and feel it's about perfect, aside from the crackling on deceleration. I've been really surprised how quiet each truck has been, which doesn't make sense with the glasspacks.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote