View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 10:53 PM   #82
omodified

Re: "Midnight Rider" 1970 C10 SWB Fleetside

I missed taking pictures of the engine during prep which I hate. Basically, I taped off everything that I didn't want to be sanded. Then, I used a combination of scotch brite pads, sandpaper and a wire wheel to remove the shine from the paint. This also removed the little bit of road grime that I found as well as the corrosion. Then, I used some Duplicolor Prep Spray grease remover to wash the entire block down. It dries pretty fast so you have to wipe it off quickly with a soft lint free cloth. Once, it was totally dry, you could really tell that the surface was oil free, which was encouraging. I could also tell that I needed to sand the surface some more. So, I repeated the entire process a second time and I was very pleased with the results. Then, I used Frogtape to tape off everything that I didn't want to be painted.

Next, I set up the spray tent and rolled the engine in.

Next up was two light coats of primer, followed by one medium coat. 10 minutes break between coats.

Next, I found a few tiny spots that needed wet sanded. I hit that with some 1000 grit and cleaned the surface. At last, I sprayed the color. Two light coats followed by one medium coat again. 10 minute breaks between coats.

After an hour, I pulled the engine out of the tent and started to clean up. It took about 5 minutes to bag the tent and with no overspray all over the shop, I was finished cleaning! This tent is awesome.

To end the day, I decided to remove the masking tape that was close to the painted surfaces. I didn't want to risk pulling up any paint at a later date. I think it turned out pretty nice!!!

Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848
omodified is offline   Reply With Quote