View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 12:56 AM   #15
cornerstone

Re: Uncle Loyd's 72' C-10

I test fit the new motor and trans with the cab on many times trying to get it to fit with the stock L83 oil pan. The best I could manage would have not allowed the motor to be low enough in the chassis without the pan being way to low below the frame. One speed bump would have been the death of it.

I cut away enough of the front crossmember so the motor would sit low enough in the truck for me to be relatively happy. Then I added ribs inside the newly opened cavity to add rigidity. After that came a cover plate with slots cut into it so the ribs could be welded top and bottom inside the crossmember, finally I boxed in the sides of the opening, cleaned it all up and repainted it.

Back when I started this part of the work Holley had not yet come out with their 302-02 oil pan. Eventually I bought it and all this work turned out to not be necessary. Oh well...
Attached Images

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote