View Single Post
Old 12-22-2020, 05:11 PM   #955
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

A serious post on here, related to this build.

Remember Fil who took the trailer up to Ayr in Scotland to fetch the Rezin Rockit for me.

He posted this posting today on the BMW UKGSER.com site in a reserved chat section.

It made me quite emotional and touched me in a way few people manage to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkplug View Post
Cracking work as always Rian :thumb2

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I hope you don't mind it being on your thread.

When we were over at Grizz Towers during the epic Rezin Rocket™ delivery adventure we were treated to the usual generous hospitality and showered with gifts.

One of which was a sign which I kept trying to find the right spot for but it somehow never was quite 'at home'.

I've been volunteering for a while with a local café which is open to all but which provides free food through schemes like Fareshare to anyone who needs it as well as having peer mentors always available for a chat for people recovering from alcohol and substance abuse.

It's very sad to have seen the number of people needing assistance with being fed rise to the point where it can no longer be a free for all, come in, help yourself approach. This was great for people who didn't want to interact with you because such a large proportion of them feel ashamed to be in a position of need.

With demand now far exceeding supply (it used to be the other way round just six months ago) there is now a queue and everyone is limited to a certain amount of food (measured by weight).

Anyway, I'm digressing from the point....

The point is that while helping out this morning it suddenly struck me that I knew exactly where that sign would find it's home.

People were forever asking if there was WiFi and what the password was because it was too small to be noticeable. Now the sign will attract attention to it.

Within minutes of putting it up I was approached by a former drug dealer who had come off his bike and got severe brain injuries six years ago.

He'd been going to the café in the early days to help his recovery and is now a peer mentor there. He's turned to writing to keep himself busy and mentally healthy. He told me how being able to use the WiFi in the café had been his lifeline for doing this and how even when it was closed due to covid he was able to sit outside in the cold and connect to get his emails.

He said that he loved the sign and that he hoped it would help others to find that lifeline too.

Must say I came home feeling pretty good - and all thanks to the inestimable generosity of Grizz. :clap
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote