View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 07:58 PM   #4
87Skier

Re: Top rebuild process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1971 View Post
The problem with just taking the very top part off is you will not gain access to parts that need preservation. The rear support arch on the double wall will need attention. Mine had cracks and years of corrosion to repair. Taking the whole outer skin off in halves is time consuming but it works.

I used carbon fiber honeycomb panels that I had scrounged from Boeing surplus years ago to become the inner spacer and support. They were just the right thickness. I also used an epoxy called West Systems for joining the halves back together. West Systems is used in aircraft and racing boat applications. You can get it online.

Jeff
Interesting. I looked through the Factory Assembly Instructions about assembling the top and the rear support arch isn't shown as an arch, just the top piece where the hatch attaches. It makes sense though looking at how things are setup back there.

I'll probably end up removing the entire outer shell as you suggest. I want to get to and fix several other things inside there and the driver side outer shell isn't aligned properly near the front so the gap down the bed rail is terrible.

Where do the inner and outer panels separate near the hatch? At the front?
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote