View Single Post
Old 03-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #22
68speedalert
Semi-Senior Member

Re: stereo speakers...where to put them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTERSHOTGUN
YEAH.. someone else who has done that. I built a set of boxes to fit under a bench seat in a 68 chevy for a friend. Thought it was silly but did it for a favor. it was two tens and tweeters built into the boxes. he used some moderate mids inside the dash and it didn't take much works to get the boxes to fit under the seats. I had to take the seats out of the truck and build them inside the frame and then put the seats back in the truck after it was done.. to my surprise, it sounded great. I used to instal stereo equipment and make custom boxes and fiberglass work. but I tell you what. 72freak is right that it will sound great without cutting holes in your doors. but even after knowing this i put them in the doors of my own personal ride.. It all depends on you.
From another that has done this, it works great. I'm pretty picky about my sound but want to keep this as low of a budget as possible. This is not for a show truck but an everyday driver.

I made boxes that would JUST fit under the seat. Put 6x9's in them and the amp there as well.

The key, as others have noted, is the tweeters and mids. I went so low budget that I took the mids and highs from blown 6x9's, attatched brakets to them, and mounted under the dash, out of sight. By using the fader of the control unit, you can adjust it until your desired sound is right.

I would not hesitate to do the same again, As a matter of fact, I did semi-repeat the proccess in numberoneson's (aka afr72) red short-step. He is happy as well.

Steve
'95 GMC K1500 Extended cab
68speedalert is offline   Reply With Quote