View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 06:08 PM   #1
FL71C10

Need help with power steering

I am having problems with the power steering in my 71 C10. I have an LT1 motor (1995 impala ss motor) and I am using the pump that came on that with engine. The power steering box is a new one that I put on about 8 years ago.(Cardone part from advance auto &#128556 It has never been hooked up until now. I made custom lines using high pressure braided stainless hose on the pressure side, and regular braided stainless line on the return. I put the system together, filled it with fluid and jacked up the front of the truck and went lock the lock 20 times to prime it and the steering seemed fine. I put the belt on and started the motor, and the ps pump started smoking after a few minutes.

I went ahead and got a new ps pump and swapped it out, and the pump started squealing. I got a little bit of assist on the steering before the belt started squealing. The hoses are hot coming out of the power steering box.

I am attaching a picture of the connections on the box. The fitting on the right, closer to the steering column is the return line. I think I have that right.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Not sure if I should get a new steering box. Hate to just keep replacing parts.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
Attached Images