View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 02:03 PM   #34
americanmusc1e

Re: Project "Old Skool" V.3

Fuel tanks and fuel pumps have become a reoccurring part of my C10 project. I haven't been happy with the way the 26gal Blazer tank sticks past the SWB frame, but I didn't want to spend the money or the headache to fix it.

Well last week the truck kicked me in the butt and now it's time. I went to run some errands in the C10 and I stopped at the gas station by my house to fill up. I filled the tank up all the way and got back in the truck to start it. It sputtered and died and just cranked and cranked. I checked the fuel rail schrader valve with a pocketknife. No fuel pressure.

after checking the fuel pump fuse and a few other basic things, I left my truck at the pump, walked the half mile back to my house and biked back with tools.

I was convinced that the problem was in the relay or the wiring to the pump. I spent a lot of time with a multimeter checking things and finally hotwired the pump with the license plate wire. No change. I got desperate and pulled the sending unit and found this.

That could have gone far worse. I bypassed the bulkhead with the fuel pump wire directly into the tank so I could get the truck home. It was a nervous half mile. My fire extinguisher was on the seat next to me ready to go.

I spent the last week researching tanks. i wanted a large capacity EFI tank. After much back and forth I decided on the factory 67-72 21 gallon Blazer tank with a tanks inc EFI SUMP CONVERSION.

The Blazer tank got here today and I'm now convinced that the tank won't clear the bed floor with the efi fittings on top. Even with the bed crossmember completely removed. I finally said I'd had enough and I sent the blazer tank back to Summit and ordered a $500 aluminum EFI tank off of a guy on ebay. My truck has been down for two weeks and i'm getting impatient but I really didn't want to have the tank hang even lower than a factory blazer tank.

All the classic truck places are very slow on shipping right now. This ebay seller says the tank will be here mid next week. I guess the only thing I can work on this weekend is pulling the old tank out and draining the fuel. Luckily I have a ton of stuff to do on the 49.

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote