View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 10:48 PM   #65
1972CheyenneSuper

Re: '72 Super Project: Updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklear36 View Post
Awesome two-tone paint color
Thanks, I've been back and forth with myself since I picked it, as it's hard to beat the traditional medium blue/white, red/white, or any of the factory two tones really. But I have really grown to like it.

What was supposed to be a highly productive weekend was medium productive due to some logistical issues with parts ordered for this weekend's work. Namely left parts in right parts packaging, in the case of a door relay and a vent window handle kit. The vendor has been good to clear it up, but waiting two weeks for parts and another for its replacement wasn't conducive to accomplish what we set out for. That being said, this weekend's work was to have both doors fully built. Vent windows, well if you know, you know. They suck. Only tonight had I read through some threads on here and learned some of that in hindsight stuff. All of my rubber stuff up to this point has been Precision, which has mostly been fairly decent to work with. I do believe there may be a better vent window rubber option out there, but we have to work with what we have at this point. I did do myself one injustice here, and that was not test fitting all of these components into the re-pop doors. I think a little massaging could've been done prior to paint, but at this stage I'm going to settle for no paint chips or scratches. After reading some others' experiences I am fine with my end result.

Not much too see here, the only picture I took during the process, too annoyed to stop and take pictures.

Passenger side door: I got the sport mirrors mounted. Was able to fit the door relay and latch mechanisms, door lock, window regulator, re-seat the new door glass and get it in the door. Currently waiting for RH vent window handle to show up to finish vent window to finish door assembly.

Driver side door: Waiting for LH door relay, I was able to install everything else in the door.

End result of the vent window seal and the beltline moldings. I understand the vent window rubber to be tucked. I didn't really see an official answer for the beltline molding, and most of it had been rolled in when it snapped into place. I was trying to keep the lip up top but I was too busy watching the paint to keep track of what the rubber was doing. I ended up pushing the rest in up to the vent window frame leaving a little flap. I don't think it looks too bad. At this point I'm afraid to try to unseat the whole length out and I really don't think it matters because the rubber on the other side of the strip that imo should be sealing against the glass has a sizable gap. I really am not impressed with the situation, but based on what I've read, the insides of these doors are aqueducts in the rain. I don't foresee this truck seeing much rain, but I've got the interiors shot pretty full of cavity wax so hopefully we'll be ok.

Finally decided on a radiator last week and ended up with a Champion LS. Ordered some other engine parts, which we'll be tackling after these doors are done. I'll be spraying this and several other parts with black epoxy, just need the weather to turn around here. After a couple weeks of springlike weather in the 50's, we're back down into the single digits with 6" of snow on the ground again.

Last edited by 1972CheyenneSuper; 03-24-2024 at 11:00 PM.
1972CheyenneSuper is offline   Reply With Quote