Thread: S10 Swap how to
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 04:44 PM   #980
joedoh

Re: S10 Swap how to

haha I use the s10 radiator on every build, it doesnt have anything to do with saving a buck because most times I will buy a NEW S10 radiator that costs more than the speedway radiator. I do it because:

1. (this is the big one for me) the speedway radiator lower outlet is cocked towards the crank pulley, that combined with the height the speedway rad sits at means I would need an electric fan, the engine fan would cut the lower hose in half using the speedway rad. I think the reliability of an aftermarket electric fan system is suspect, using the clutch mechanical fans is more reliable to me.

2. the stock s10 rad has a trans cooler already set up to take the lines from the 4l60e. knowing the probability of a system failure goes UP the more you touch the system, I like being able to plug the trans cooler in with no added unions. the speedway rad has no trans cooler, so you will need an external trans cooler (wait till you see how people save a buck on trans coolers!) although on the last one I did splice in some extensions.

3. the overall width is wider than the AD core support BUT the core width is almost the same size as the opening.

4. it is a cross flow, so I can use the stock expansion system. (the speedway is a cross flow too)

the carnage is almost nothing of note, I trim out two pockets, one on each side for the end tanks, and bend up some sheetmetal to close the pockets back in, then put a piece on the bottom that has holes for the stock rad mount bushings. the stock S10 AC condenser also fits, and the hood shuts perfectly. I dont solid mount my front clip, I use outrigger mounts to the AD core support on stock S10 bushings, so I am in the same area welding anyway.

its not a cost savings thing, its a better solution for my 4.3 trucks. potato potatto, to each his own.

roaburto, I found the plug I took out of my 91 today, in the drawer of my toolbox.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote