View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 01:16 AM   #16
Outlaw72
Hay Team!!

Re: Got the rear fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Dragtruck View Post
Another thing is aftermarket parts availability, compare a list of parts available for a truck 12 compared to a 9", even a car 12 for that matter. My new 9" won't have a single Ford part in it, except for being based on one of their rearend designs, to call it a Ford rear is a very large stretch. I have this coversation with a guy all the time who's also hung up on go with a 12 bolt opinion, and it goes the same way every time. I have way too much money tied up in my truck 12 now and it is still way too weak for my application, and I have no plans of sinking a single nickel into it ever again.
Yea....I hear ya. That's why I didn't spend a ton of money. I didn't build this rear originally. I would have never put Richmonds in it to begin with. So, the $600 I just spent will be all I spend. I refuse to beat a dead horse to the ground. If it breaks again, I already have a 9inch ready for some trailing arm plates and coil over brackets. Axles and pumkins will be so easy to come by so, my backup plan is already in place. Just thought I would spend a little money on it once and see what happens. Frankly, I would kinda like to know how much abuse a stronger one will take. Just for the sake of information.

I set up gears in many different rears, built PTO's for big trucks and driveshafts for a while before I changed profession. Now I'm a software engineer. The last two rears I put together for friends was an 8.8 that is cutting 1.2XX 60ft times and a 9inch that is pulling the same 60ft. I only charged my buddy $50 to set up his 9 inch. They are so easy it is unbelievable. I will not do another one on my back. If you look close, you will notice even mine is up on a bench out of the truck.