View Single Post
Old 08-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #269
Paul Y

Re: The English are coming! Or..another C10 in the Motherland.

Doesn't time fly when your having fun...

A month since my last missive might lead you to the conclusion that progress should have been made...

And you would be right but lets not get ahead of ourselves shall we...

So, for those of you keeping up, the last time we were waiting for parts. Stupid little bits and pieces that meant that progress had come to a halt.

To be precise, these stupid little bits and pieces.

Ball joint boots that precluded me from attaching the front suspension. Grrr. However, after exchanging 4 English pounds, I was at the point were progress could be made once again. So, with the able assistance of

the offending articles were attached to the cleaned and freshly greased ball joints.

Nice.

And a lot easier than trying to replicate the copper collar that affixed the originals. Plus. Race Car.

With the final piece fo the assembly jigsaw done it was then a simple task of putting Tab A in Slot B. Well actually no. Obviously.

When Woody originally came into my possession he was on a pair of very short front springs which had been further enhanced by having an extra coil or two cut from them. Great for the Looooowwwwsss but with the addition of 2.5" dropped spindles the crossmember, even with no engine, was so close to the floor that I couldn't get my super low floor jack under it. PLUS! every time I jacked poor old Woody up they fell out of the spring pockets.

Not ideal.

Looked cool though..

A quick post on the 67-72 truck forum asking for advice was answered by Skinny G who suggested a pair of 1 ton coils which could be trimmed to fit. £58 later, and 3 days, these arrived at PY Towers.

(next to the 'original' springs and Mrs. Grinder)

For those of you that don't see the problem with that picture I can assure you we can no longer be friends...

Better...

Better still!

And for comparison...Which will become important..later.

This also had the additional benefit of making it easier to get the front suspension back together, so a win/win.

The advantage of the 2.5" dropped spindle over the 3" is that you can use 15" wheels, just, without the suspension hanging below the wheel. Picture is a bit misleading bit there is about 1/4 between the lip of the wheel and the control arm.

Whilst this was going on other things appeared on my door step.

I have no idea at all how they got there....

Which lead me to the next pause as I now needed to wait for tools.

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote