View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #125
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Re: The 283 Rebuild Begins

Update on ‘The Tan’s’ Power Train Installation.

The engine & transmission are in the truck. They are not bolted in, however. Wrestled the entire assembly into the C-10, with her rear-end stuck up in the air with my jack-stands fully extended.

Routine until it came time to push the TH350 transmission up on the cross-member and the "Ginnie" shift kit rails interfered with the folded sheet metal lip that hangs down in the transmission tunnel. I was supporting the automatic with a mini-floor-jack and a block of wood at the time and simply removed the right and left hand rails and back the assembly came.

Now we're stuck just forward of the cross-member with the tranny’s foot pad pushing right against it and the engine tower mounts are exactly where I re-drilled and notched the frame rails for.

The GM HEI distributor cap is about one-finger width from the firewall and I really don’t want to mangle the sheet metal there to clear the cap - allowing for timing rotation and engine torque movement.

The drive shaft yoke is only engaged about 1.5" into the tranny’s tail presently.

Here’s what I was thinking my options might be for this bolt-up situation:

1. Purchase a slide brace to secure the TH350’s tail, rather than moving up the cross-member (about $100) and have a longer drive-shaft yoke installed - to make up the difference.

2. Move the present cross-member up about an inch and a half and have a longer drive-shaft yoke installed - to make up the difference.

3. Slot the motor mount towers to allow the entire assembly to slide further back - which would put the HEI right up against the firewall and create a whole new set of clearance problems.

The motor mount towers are exactly where they need to be right now and I’ve got all the bolts sticking through the various upper and lower holes. The lower pads of the towers are just beginning to sick over the back of the truck’s front cross member - so I’d really rather leave the block where she is and deal with the other fit-up problems accordingly.

What do you think guys?