Thread: Aluminum Wheels
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Aluminum Wheels

Well I will tell you that first you will have to take the sprayed on plastic coating off of the wheel, before you can polish them. It can be done, but it is not easy. Once the wheel is stripped, then I would look at sanding them with a fine wet and dry sandpaper, using WD-40 as the lubricant for the paper. When they are smooth, then you can polish with a buffing wheel of some sort. I purchased small buffing wheels and use an air powered die grinder to polish mine with. The buffing wheels sell on the internet under the name of "Razor" buffs and come in small diameters, so that you can use them with ease. The polishing compounds can be purchased in many places. A lot of truck stops have the polishes for the truckers, or you can find it at Harbor Freight. You will want the dark aluminum polish to start with, then the green polish to clean up with and finally the white polish to bring the metal to a shine.

The best way is to get another set of rims and let someone else worry about this set. That is unless you are really attached to this set of rims.